16:04:28 <gastaldi> #startmeeting
16:04:28 <jbott> Meeting started Wed Feb 12 16:04:28 2014 UTC.  The chair is gastaldi. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:04:28 <jbott> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:04:36 <stalep> and i dont know exactly what causes it other than it started when we implemented that each command runs in a separate thread
16:04:40 <gastaldi> #chair lincolnthree vineetreynolds ivannov stalep
16:04:40 <jbott> Current chairs: gastaldi ivannov lincolnthree stalep vineetreynolds
16:04:48 <gastaldi> #topic Agenda
16:05:00 <gastaldi> #info Forge 2 Status
16:05:14 <gastaldi> #info Forge Hack Night outcome
16:05:21 <gastaldi> #info GSoC 2014
16:05:23 <gastaldi> anything else?
16:06:12 <gastaldi> well, let's begin then
16:06:20 <gastaldi> #topic Forge 2 Status
16:06:35 <agoncal> gastaldi Spreading the word ? (e.g. conferences, talks, articles...)
16:06:54 <gastaldi> agoncal, yes, that can be discussed as well
16:07:07 <gastaldi> The most intriguing situation is why tests sporadically fail, and also incompatibilities with Windows
16:07:34 <lincolnthree> agoncal: yes, we'll start wanting to present :)
16:07:49 <lincolnthree> As far as F2 status goes, I think we still have quite a few rough edges, but it continues to improve.
16:08:00 <lincolnthree> agoncal: your feedback has been fantastic
16:08:02 <gastaldi> I fixed an issue in Furnace on Monday which could cause weird ClassCastExceptions, so it you see anything like that happen in 2.0.0.Final, try it with the latest SNAPSHOT first
16:08:45 <gastaldi> agoncal, yes, thanks for your feedback and work in the hack night
16:09:11 <agoncal> gastaldi ;o) First JIRA....
16:09:25 <gastaldi> ... of many I suppose? :)
16:10:15 <agoncal> lincolnthree And what about documentation in F2 ?
16:10:17 <ivannov> what about the shell problems on Windows? :)
16:10:35 <gastaldi> ok, so our next steps are : attempt to find why these failures happen and fix the windows issues
16:10:55 <gastaldi> documentation is another subject that we could discuss as well.
16:11:27 <gastaldi> #action Find why the sporadic test failures happen
16:11:33 <gastaldi> #action Fix the Windows issues
16:11:56 <gastaldi> agoncal, We have a repository in https://github.com/forge/docs with the documentation
16:11:59 <stalep> what are the current windows issues with the shell?
16:12:09 <gastaldi> it's still being worked on, vineetreynolds started something
16:12:21 <gastaldi> I should write something up in the days to follow also
16:12:33 <ivannov> when you start Forge, no matter what you click, it doesn't get into the prompt
16:12:49 <ivannov> ^ about the Windwos issues
16:12:52 <gastaldi> Windows 8}?
16:13:05 <ivannov> Windows 7
16:13:06 <lincolnthree> agoncal: in addition to the docs repository, we have created a README doc for each addon
16:13:31 <stalep> ivannov: are you talking about the shell in eclipse on windows?
16:13:35 <stalep> or just the shell?
16:13:51 <ivannov> no, just the shell in the console
16:14:07 <vineetreynolds> lincolnthree, agoncal The idea is to extract the bits from the READMEs into asciidoc files in the docs repo
16:14:26 <vineetreynolds> So if you have questions about the READMEs, we'll make sure that they're eventually answered
16:14:29 <stalep> ivannov: what do you mean with no matter what you click?
16:14:37 <stalep> wont the shell start?
16:14:52 <gastaldi> stalep, org.jboss.aesh.console.export.ExportCommandTest fails after running a number of times in Eclipse
16:15:11 <ivannov> if I try to write for exaple 'blah', nothing goes on the prompt
16:15:15 <gastaldi> vineetreynolds, we should probably have a FAQ section too
16:15:26 <vineetreynolds> gastaldi, agreed
16:15:43 <stalep> gastaldi: hm, ok. ill try here
16:15:44 <lincolnthree> vineetreynolds: well.. the readmes are specifically to document each addon's capabilities. these will show up on the website when users click for docs on a specific addon
16:16:15 <lincolnthree> vineetreynolds: also the README files are already asciidoc
16:16:27 <lincolnthree> +1 on FAQ section
16:16:43 <agoncal> +1 on FAQ
16:16:45 <vineetreynolds> lincolnthree, yes, agreed. But we need beginner level guides so users also know what addons to use
16:16:56 <lincolnthree> of course
16:17:00 <gastaldi> questions like: "How do I get the current project?" and "Why I can't inject the shell anymore?" should be answered there
16:17:02 <vineetreynolds> thats why the docs repos is organized a bit differently
16:17:11 <agoncal> A FAQ for developers is also nice (how do I create a new template, I do I do this, that...)
16:17:16 <vineetreynolds> of course you know this, but I'm putting this on record so others know as well
16:17:31 <gastaldi> #action We will create a FAQ section in the forge/docs repository
16:17:43 <vineetreynolds> gastaldi, yeah, we need FAQs per user-level
16:17:48 <gastaldi> +1
16:17:54 <vineetreynolds> Addon devs will have different FAQs
16:18:02 <gastaldi> A migration guide from F1 too
16:18:17 <gastaldi> like, how a command was executed in F1 and how it is now in F2
16:18:47 <gastaldi> I can work on that
16:19:17 <gastaldi> ok, shall we move to the next topic?
16:19:20 <lincolnthree> sure
16:19:23 <gastaldi> ok
16:19:29 <ivannov> what about windows?
16:19:31 <ivannov> :)
16:19:49 <ivannov> I'd like to ask how can I help with finding the problem
16:20:07 <gastaldi> I believe I added as an action earlier
16:20:07 <lincolnthree> ivannov: i guess debug :/
16:20:11 <ivannov> is debugging the Example class in aesh fine?
16:20:21 <vineetreynolds> ivannov, given that the shell is blocking on something maybe hook in visualvm and get a threaddump
16:20:25 <vineetreynolds> look for blocked threads
16:20:27 <lincolnthree> ivannov: if you can reproduce the problem consistently, then that's how i would start
16:20:40 <lincolnthree> ivannov: or you can attach the debugger and see where each thread is blocked
16:20:45 <ivannov> it's not really blocked. if I press Enter, it goes to the next line
16:21:03 <vineetreynolds> :p
16:21:06 <lincolnthree> hm
16:21:18 <lincolnthree> ivannov: but you get no prompt
16:21:24 <ivannov> yes, the prompt is there
16:21:27 <gastaldi> I'll test in my Windows 8 box
16:21:38 <gastaldi> I can work on this today
16:21:57 <gastaldi> vineetreynolds, the visualvm is a good idea
16:22:11 <ivannov> maybe I can also help with debugging
16:22:15 <gastaldi> sure
16:22:17 <vineetreynolds> yeah thats how I fixed the F1 shell bug
16:22:30 <gastaldi> ivannov, you can start forge with "forge --debug"
16:22:34 <ivannov> but I don't think that anything is blogged
16:22:38 <gastaldi> and attach a debugger to it
16:22:41 <ivannov> ~blocked
16:23:05 <ivannov> that's easy, the question is where to put a breakpoint ;)
16:23:05 <gastaldi> well, I think we need to cut open to see what's going on inside :)
16:23:07 <lincolnthree> ivannov: you can start with forge —debug and try to put some breakpoints in the shell startup sequence
16:23:40 <ivannov> shell startup sequence? is it in the shell addon somewhere?
16:23:45 <gastaldi> yea
16:23:48 <gastaldi> ShellFactoryImpl
16:23:50 <ivannov> fine, thanks!
16:23:57 <lincolnthree> ivannov: like ShellInitializer#L35
16:24:12 <lincolnthree> shellfactory also works
16:24:13 <gastaldi> yup
16:24:20 <ivannov> OK, great, thank you all! :)
16:25:11 <gastaldi> #info Forge Hack Night
16:25:17 <gastaldi> #topic Forge Hack Night
16:25:21 <gastaldi> :P
16:25:35 <gastaldi> well, the Forge Hack Night was very well represented by ivannov and agoncal
16:25:51 <ivannov> yes, I think it was successful :)
16:26:23 <gastaldi> #info Forge Hack Night Round #2 will begin in Feb 17th
16:26:27 <agoncal> gastaldi A very slow process... but I'm starting to understand a bit the code, so that's good (need to do it more)
16:26:34 <gastaldi> excellent :)
16:26:50 <gastaldi> agoncal, btw, expect some changes in the scaffold addon. vineetreynolds is working on this atm
16:27:03 <lincolnthree> agoncal: im interested to hear what you think of the code architecture / how it is to learn / etc.
16:27:06 <agoncal> gastaldi Is it something you want to do on a regular basis guys, or just depending on the demand of the community ?
16:27:09 <lincolnthree> agoncal: at some point
16:27:17 <lincolnthree> agoncal: i'd like to do it more regularly
16:27:22 <gastaldi> yes
16:27:23 <lincolnthree> agoncal: we've just been so busy with F2 final
16:28:09 <agoncal> lincolnthree It's always good to have things on a regular basis because people can plan their agenda... difficult to keep a rythm in a long run
16:28:41 <agoncal> lincolnthree But maybe for now, as F2 is brand new, maybe a Hack Night every couple of weeks would be doable, no ?
16:28:53 <ivannov> I think the hacknight is a great forum for addon developers to get used to the new APIs in Forge 2
16:29:30 <gastaldi> Yes, I am fine with having a Hack night every couple of weeks
16:29:41 <lincolnthree> yeah same
16:29:54 <gastaldi> #action We should start having a Hack night every couple of weeks
16:30:22 <gastaldi> ivannov, do you want to organize this?
16:30:53 <ivannov> suer
16:30:55 <ivannov> sure
16:31:04 <gastaldi> awesome
16:31:15 <ivannov> it's just sending a meeting request, right :)
16:31:21 <ivannov> and finding new people to join :)
16:31:43 <lincolnthree> ivannov: yeah :)
16:31:51 <gastaldi> we can add the meeting request in the Google Calendar, so it appears in forge.jboss.org
16:32:05 <gastaldi> but we need more people to join and someone to spread the word :)
16:32:07 <ivannov> I think I can't do that?
16:32:19 <lincolnthree> ivannov: you probably want to invite forge-dev, then we can accept via the forge calendar
16:32:24 <gastaldi> yes
16:32:30 <ivannov> OK, that will work
16:32:36 <gastaldi> INVITE ALL THE DEVS! :)
16:32:39 <ivannov> which day of the week is preferable for you?
16:32:52 <gastaldi> monday is fine
16:33:01 <gastaldi> or perhaps
16:33:12 <gastaldi> well, which day is best for you?
16:33:24 <ivannov> OK, same time as now (8:30 p.m. CET)?
16:33:29 <lincolnthree> any day works for me
16:33:29 <gastaldi> sounds good
16:33:37 <lincolnthree> yeah that sounds good
16:33:40 <agoncal> ivannov Time is good for me
16:33:43 <gastaldi> yeah, same, except weekends :)
16:33:43 <ivannov> I actually prefer tuesday-thursday
16:33:55 <gastaldi> that's fine also
16:34:27 <agoncal> ivannov I'm open for the day, time is good
16:34:27 <gastaldi> In the ideal world, we'd be doing every tuesday-thursday :)
16:34:33 <mbenson> Monday and Tuesday are best for me
16:34:45 <ivannov> OK, Tuesday, 8:30 PM CET
16:34:49 <gastaldi> looks like Tuesday is the winner
16:35:13 <ivannov> which is 2:30 PM EST
16:35:26 <gastaldi> #action Forge Hack Night will occur every Tuesday, 8:30 PM CET
16:35:46 <gastaldi> #action ivannov will send the invitation for the hack night
16:36:02 <gastaldi> what can we do to attract more people to it?
16:36:16 <gastaldi> offer beer?
16:36:23 <ivannov> lol
16:36:28 <lincolnthree> gastaldi: offer to help them with their addons :)
16:36:43 <ivannov> I am asking myself the same question about the Bulgaria JUG meetings :(
16:36:53 <gastaldi> lincolnthree, sure, but first they need to find the need to develop addons :)
16:37:36 <ivannov> I guess that the idea of the hack nights is to have you guys online in IRC to help people, right?
16:37:45 <gastaldi> mostly, yeah
16:37:54 <lincolnthree> ivannov: pretty much :) and to work on issues at the same time if we can
16:38:06 <lincolnthree> ivannov: but between the two, helping is more important
16:38:19 <lincolnthree> sorry about last time btw. i have been in the middle of about 5 things at work the past week
16:38:19 <gastaldi> as well as finding bugs
16:38:38 <lincolnthree> yep, fixing problems
16:38:42 <lincolnthree> removing blockers
16:38:47 <gastaldi> btw, we should have a FindBugs report in Forge 2 core
16:39:37 <gastaldi> perhaps we can configure it to run the internal Sonar instance
16:41:31 <gastaldi> anyway, we can do that later
16:41:35 <gastaldi> let's move on?
16:41:39 <ivannov> OK
16:41:55 <gastaldi> #topic GSoC 2014
16:42:19 <gastaldi> #action we need to update https://community.jboss.org/wiki/GSOC14Ideas with the Forge ideas
16:42:34 <lincolnthree> Ok, for this I think it's simple, someone just needs to copy the intelliJ proposal over for NetBeans
16:42:43 <lincolnthree> any other ideas for GSoC topics?
16:43:33 <gastaldi> perhaps we should look in the JIRA for interesting proposals
16:44:52 <gastaldi> FORGEPLUGINS-54 is a good candidate
16:44:53 <jbossbot> jira [3FORGEPLUGINS-54] Plugin to Database Migration Framework [10Open (Unresolved) Feature Request,7 Major,6 Unassigned] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGEPLUGINS-54
16:45:32 <lincolnthree> gastaldi: i think that's already proposed as well
16:45:36 <gastaldi> oh
16:45:39 <gastaldi> then nvm
16:46:17 <lincolnthree> :)
16:46:29 <lincolnthree> I think those 3 should be sufficient
16:46:37 <lincolnthree> but more ideas are welcome
16:46:50 <gastaldi> I think we could get in touch with other JBoss teams to make sure their technology is supported in Forge through an addon
16:47:09 <gastaldi> and these proposals could bring more ideas
16:47:24 <gastaldi> anyway, let's stick with these 3 for now
16:48:27 <gastaldi> OK, I think we finally reached the end of our meeting. We appreciate your participation and we hope to see you again in the next event
16:48:46 <ivannov> OK, see you later tonight :)
16:48:50 <gastaldi> Thanks for all the guys in this channel
16:48:56 <gastaldi> #endmeeting